At Alternative Staffing we make it a point to reduce, reuse and recycle. We’ve made “Go Green in 2019” our slogan. Recycling bins around the office make sure that employee are recycling all products available. Reuse of one sided copy paper is flipped over and used again by owner, Jan Cappellini.
Alternative Staffing is always looking for ways to better our carbon footprint. So we did a little research and came up with a few office practices to incorporate into our days; and we encourage other businesses to do the same!
Tips to Going Green in 2019:
- Recycle. If recycling seems so simple, then why don’t more people do it? Make it convenient for your employees. Put a recycling bin right beside every trash can – then no one has an excuse to pop that can in the recycling bin instead of the trash. Put a sign on the recycling bin to tell people what they can/cannot recycle. For example: Please recycle all paper, plastic, glass, and tin. Thank you! Sometimes people respond better when they see something word for word. Reuse your paper like us! Just flip it over and reprint on the other side. And who needs post-its when you have a plethora of note pads at your fingertips? Reuse copy paper by cutting it up into square pieces to use for notes, voicemail messages, and more!
- Metal Straws. We’ve purchased metal straws to be washed and reused. We’ve given many of these straw out with our marketing material. These straws go great with the popular Yeti Tumblers.
- Get rid of plastic water bottles. First of all, there is a lot of health conscious skepticism around the use of plastic water bottles; but we will focus on the earth friendly benefits of limiting the use of them! According to Ban the Bottle, Americans used about 50 billion plastic water bottles last year. However, the U.S.’s recycling rate for plastic is only 23 percent, which means 38 billion water bottles – more than $1 billion worth of plastic – are wasted each year. So nix the plastic water bottles and switch to refillable water bottles. Add a purifier to your tap and you’re done! Again, you can customize for each employee and add company branding. Plus: This will reduce your office expenses!
- Limit your gas consumption. We all know that highways in the Charleston Tri-County area can be a disaster from time to time. Make your commute fun and carpool with a co-worker, while using less gas. Use your bike to go to work if you live close by. Instead of driving somewhere for lunch, take your bike or add a brisk walk.
- Reusable grocery bags. Make plastic and paper bags a thing of the past and go green with reusable bags! These are perfect for going to your local office supply store to buy supplies, office grocery store runs, or picking up lunch for the team. Do you see another branding opportunity here? We do!
- Go green, literally, with plants. Having beautiful plants in the office are not only nice to look at but they make you feel better and even improve air quality. According to a NASA study, houseplants were able to remove up to 87% of air toxins in 24 hours; and a study from Exter University concluded that employees were 15% more productive with plants in the office. Tip: Double dip and invest in an aloe plant. If someone gets cut or is burned, snip a piece of the aloe and rub on your skin!
Join Alternative Staffing and make the commitment to GO GREEN IN 2019 for a sustainable work environment! Mother Earth will thank you!